Taos Weather

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Costa Rica Current Events


     OK, I’m a little late this week, but not too badly. I don’t know about you guys, but my week has been hammered with to-dos. Not enough time in the days. Anyhow, I read through some current events in Costa-Rica and thought it was quite remarkable that they don’t have a military. So cool.         
    
     “Costa Rica marks 65 years without an army.” Wow. I found this article to be intriguing. The president is proud of creative conflict resolution using the UN and The Hague. Others would like to see a paramilitary in place to help enforce the “motherland” from problems with Nicaragua, fearing Nicaragua may invade. Haaa ha ha ha ha! I’m no international political expert, but common sense tells me that would be a preposterous thing to do on Nicaragua’s part. So silly, that the fear of them doing it is just as ridiculous. It seems to me, of all the nation states on the planet, Costa Rica is the nice kid on the block everyone would want to protect. The UN wouldn’t stand for it, The Hague wouldn’t stand for it, and the United States wouldn’t stand for it either. I think the US would see it as an opportunity to truly dig in to drug cartel institutions and put in place whatever puppet they wanted (and I’m not saying that would or would not be a “pro-drug cartel” leader.) I remember the US supporting the “Contras” in the 80s, for which the international courts later ruled in favor of Nicaragua for reparations. We all knew it was an underhanded thing the US was involved in. Meanwhile, Costa Rica has reinvented what it means to be a nation state. I’m looking forward to going there in-person.
                  Additionally, having personally seen what happens in Africa when military (either sanctioned or unsanctioned) groups decide they don’t like what’s going on in government and are armed to the teeth, it would be a certain misstep politically, in my opinion. Meanwhile, while other countries are going broke, they are becoming (or already are) politically “sustainable.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment