Taos Weather

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Energy Quiz

So, National Geographic has a personal carbon footprint calculator to see just how much CO2 you personally belch to the atmosphere each year. I came out with 4.09 (tons/yr.) That’s 37 percent lower than the regional average and 23 percent lower than the national average. 
  
There are a few things working against me, and a few things working for me. First, our electricity provider, Kit Carson Electric Cooperative, offers the ability to “purchase renewable electricity,” which we do. It essentially cuts my electricity-based carbon down to zero. That helps a lot. Having said that, if I didn’t have that option, it would be pitiful because the lighting in this home I rent is ridiculously wasteful. Secondly, we augment our propane heat with a wood-burning stove and I think THAT helps tremendously.

            Now for what works against me. I have to drive quite a bit. There is no public transportation system out here in the boonies and I drive once a year across the country for business (reduces the flying miles though.) I also fly once a year (or so) on a “long trip” for various reasons it seems. The suggestion is to consider taking the train and I’ve been pondering that idea for a while. I have heard from friends that the train is actually a great way to travel and I want to give it a try.
  
            When we first came to New Mexico, we lived in an off-the-grid adobe house and were pretty self-sustaining, except for water. That’s really what drove us out. An insufficient supply of water is a real drag. But I long to have a place (with a well to our wonderful Taos Valley aquifer) that I can be self-sustainable again. Given the choices, I would prefer to have grid-tie solar/wind than be off-grid. It’s more efficient and easier.
   
            I can always find ways of doing renewable heating, electrical, and sustainable food. But that pesky automobile thing I can’t overcome yet. If I had the means, I would buy an electric car in a second. (I have an electric bike and I use it when the weather is nice. It’s awesome! But it’s just too far into town to do that regularly. If I lived in town, I would use it all the time except winter.)

            Which brings me to something we have been thinking about – moving into town. That would cut down on car travel significantly. These “carbon saving” things also save money.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if taking the train in the US has the same energy savings as taking the train in europe does?

    ReplyDelete